Recipe submitted by Janet Wright, WIT Club Central Area Representative
1. Preheat the oven to 400. Cut each zucchini lengthwise, then using a spoon to scoop out the flesh, hollow out each zucchini half to create the zucchini boats. Set the boats aside and chop all of the scooped out zucchini flesh into small pieces.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Sauté until the onion has softened and become translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in the chopped zucchini flesh, salt, cumin, oregano, chili powder, 3 Tbsp of the enchilada sauce, the 3 Tbsp of chicken broth and chicken and stir to mix. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.
3. Spread ¼ cup of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan sprayed with non-stick spray. Line up all of the hollowed zucchini halves in the pan, then spoon the filling evenly into each zucchini boat. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over top of the zucchini, then sprinkle the shredded cheese.
4. Cover the pan with foil and bake 35-40 minutes until the cheese is melted and the zucchini is tender.
5. Sprinkle with additional chopped cilantro and optional green onions, if desired.